Cayven Noir
Well-Known Member
- Thread starter
- #1
Thought I’d share some initial impressions after finally taking delivery.
Background
Here is my spec. I’m coming from a Model Y Performance, before that I had an M4. I originally wanted something a bit sportier, but with two young kids I still want a proper family car, which is why I ended up with the Cayenne Turbo Electric. Test drove both the Macan and Panamera prior to deciding on the Cayenne Turbo Coupé Electric. A few of my initial and personal thoughts below. YMMV.
Infotainment
Pretty much flawless so far. Very intuitive and I don’t find myself missing Tesla’s interface, although I’m not quite ready to say it’s fully on par yet. A few videos I watched showed a much more lagging interface, which I haven't experienced at all. I would say even the scrolling function in the curved screen is super smooth!
Performance
After reading the reviews, I half expected the Turbo to be difficult to drive normally without accidentally doing silly speeds. It really isn’t (well, at least not for me). The power is very easy to regulate. For me the initial throttle response doesn’t feel quite as instant as my MYP did, but launch control and even PTP is completely insane. Even coming from the Tesla MY Performance, it was a different experience altogether. I think I almost got tunnel vision the first time...
Driving feel
My Porsche experience is fairly limited, but it actually reminds me quite a lot of the Panamera I had for a few days. It somehow doesn’t feel particularly big once moving and is genuinely comfortable and, when you want, a lot of fun to drive!
Active Ride
Definitely impressive. Bumps are way less noticeable and through faster corners the car feels almost like it is on rails. That said, I probably overhyped the comfort side in my head after reading about it so much prior to delivery. I was half expecting it to feel like driving on a cloud, which probably was naive.
RAS
Fantastic. It makes the car surprisingly easy to manoeuvre in our parking garage, and also U-turns. The self-parking is also much better than I expected! Feel a bit embarrassed to admit it, but it parked in my own space better than I normally do...
18-way seats
Brilliant for me as I’m tal-ish and fairly slim, as I can tighten the side bolsters enough that I’m properly held in place. In the Macan (which had 14-ways) I felt like I moved around much more when pushing in corners. Ventilated seats do a great job of keeping me cool when doing spirited driving.
Burmester sound system
Mixed first impression. With some music it sounds absolutely fantastic, while other tracks leave me wondering whether it’s really that much better than a good standard system. I suspect I need more time with it.
Electric Sport Sound
Honestly I'm completely sold. I understand many petrolheads think it is silly, but I want it on all the time! Especially in the sport plus-mode! It adds far more to the experience than I expected.
Cabin noise
Very quiet and clearly quieter than what I’m used to, but not the completely silent experience some reviews had me expect. There is still some road noise, although the 22-inch wheels probably don’t help. Overall very quiet thought.
InnoDrive
Ok, so first off, please understand I come from a very techy-driving experience the past few years. So I have become accustom to drive assist-systems. So far, my experience has been very positive. I read so many mixed reviews, and although I’ve only used it for shorter stretches, I don’t miss Tesla’s system at all. In fact, I would go so far to say it has been better for me than Teslas, provided it hasn't (yet) done any phantom braking or something crazy like that.
Also, lane changes have been super smooth and natural! Read someone on the forum say they felt like they were being punched from side to side, but I found it to be even smoother than Polestars lane change assists. No issues with the PPF affecting it so far either.
Doors
They don’t have the Panamera-style powered function (or the electric doors that will stay open in any angle) but they seem to hold themselves open at intermediate positions. Very useful with kids in tight parking spaces!
Exterior/interior color/looks
Well, I think it looks awesome, posted some pics below. I would say the spec I chose is stealthy but at the same time not. Almost black in low light conditions. The turbonite wheels are probably my favorite part and I'm SO worried about scratching them.
A few negatives
One area where I think Porsche could have done much better is storage in cockpit. The door pockets are tiny, possibly partly because of the Burmester system, but still! The deepness centre console is fine I guess, but anything I put in there disappears into a black hole... There’s no little tray, compartment or even a net for sunglasses, chewing gum, etc. If anyone has found a neat solution, please share.
Furthermore, the kick function opens the boot on my car perfectly, but when I try to close it the car just beeps and leaves it open... will have it checked it it persists. I also initially had a warning saying InnoDrive wasn’t available because the driver’s seatbelt wasn’t fastened properly, even though it was. The message has since disappeared, but the buckle itself feels a little sticky, which I’ll probably have checked for safety reasons.
TLDR
So far it feels like an absolutely awesome car. For me it’s a very good mix of fun, comfort and family practicality. Is it worth the money? Probably not. But then it was never really a rational decision anyway, as someone here on the forum correctly pointed out.
Background
Here is my spec. I’m coming from a Model Y Performance, before that I had an M4. I originally wanted something a bit sportier, but with two young kids I still want a proper family car, which is why I ended up with the Cayenne Turbo Electric. Test drove both the Macan and Panamera prior to deciding on the Cayenne Turbo Coupé Electric. A few of my initial and personal thoughts below. YMMV.
Infotainment
Pretty much flawless so far. Very intuitive and I don’t find myself missing Tesla’s interface, although I’m not quite ready to say it’s fully on par yet. A few videos I watched showed a much more lagging interface, which I haven't experienced at all. I would say even the scrolling function in the curved screen is super smooth!
Performance
After reading the reviews, I half expected the Turbo to be difficult to drive normally without accidentally doing silly speeds. It really isn’t (well, at least not for me). The power is very easy to regulate. For me the initial throttle response doesn’t feel quite as instant as my MYP did, but launch control and even PTP is completely insane. Even coming from the Tesla MY Performance, it was a different experience altogether. I think I almost got tunnel vision the first time...
Driving feel
My Porsche experience is fairly limited, but it actually reminds me quite a lot of the Panamera I had for a few days. It somehow doesn’t feel particularly big once moving and is genuinely comfortable and, when you want, a lot of fun to drive!
Active Ride
Definitely impressive. Bumps are way less noticeable and through faster corners the car feels almost like it is on rails. That said, I probably overhyped the comfort side in my head after reading about it so much prior to delivery. I was half expecting it to feel like driving on a cloud, which probably was naive.
RAS
Fantastic. It makes the car surprisingly easy to manoeuvre in our parking garage, and also U-turns. The self-parking is also much better than I expected! Feel a bit embarrassed to admit it, but it parked in my own space better than I normally do...
18-way seats
Brilliant for me as I’m tal-ish and fairly slim, as I can tighten the side bolsters enough that I’m properly held in place. In the Macan (which had 14-ways) I felt like I moved around much more when pushing in corners. Ventilated seats do a great job of keeping me cool when doing spirited driving.
Burmester sound system
Mixed first impression. With some music it sounds absolutely fantastic, while other tracks leave me wondering whether it’s really that much better than a good standard system. I suspect I need more time with it.
Electric Sport Sound
Honestly I'm completely sold. I understand many petrolheads think it is silly, but I want it on all the time! Especially in the sport plus-mode! It adds far more to the experience than I expected.
Cabin noise
Very quiet and clearly quieter than what I’m used to, but not the completely silent experience some reviews had me expect. There is still some road noise, although the 22-inch wheels probably don’t help. Overall very quiet thought.
InnoDrive
Ok, so first off, please understand I come from a very techy-driving experience the past few years. So I have become accustom to drive assist-systems. So far, my experience has been very positive. I read so many mixed reviews, and although I’ve only used it for shorter stretches, I don’t miss Tesla’s system at all. In fact, I would go so far to say it has been better for me than Teslas, provided it hasn't (yet) done any phantom braking or something crazy like that.
Also, lane changes have been super smooth and natural! Read someone on the forum say they felt like they were being punched from side to side, but I found it to be even smoother than Polestars lane change assists. No issues with the PPF affecting it so far either.
Doors
They don’t have the Panamera-style powered function (or the electric doors that will stay open in any angle) but they seem to hold themselves open at intermediate positions. Very useful with kids in tight parking spaces!
Exterior/interior color/looks
Well, I think it looks awesome, posted some pics below. I would say the spec I chose is stealthy but at the same time not. Almost black in low light conditions. The turbonite wheels are probably my favorite part and I'm SO worried about scratching them.
A few negatives
One area where I think Porsche could have done much better is storage in cockpit. The door pockets are tiny, possibly partly because of the Burmester system, but still! The deepness centre console is fine I guess, but anything I put in there disappears into a black hole... There’s no little tray, compartment or even a net for sunglasses, chewing gum, etc. If anyone has found a neat solution, please share.
Furthermore, the kick function opens the boot on my car perfectly, but when I try to close it the car just beeps and leaves it open... will have it checked it it persists. I also initially had a warning saying InnoDrive wasn’t available because the driver’s seatbelt wasn’t fastened properly, even though it was. The message has since disappeared, but the buckle itself feels a little sticky, which I’ll probably have checked for safety reasons.
TLDR
So far it feels like an absolutely awesome car. For me it’s a very good mix of fun, comfort and family practicality. Is it worth the money? Probably not. But then it was never really a rational decision anyway, as someone here on the forum correctly pointed out.