https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36003212/hydrogen-mirai-california-shortage/
...
I'm all for cool tech, but Hydrogen had its chance and the auto makers basically fucked around until they were overtaken by lithium ion batteries.
Hydrogen will never work for consumer transportation. We might see a different story for large shipping or airplanes, but it's fundamentally retarded for automobiles.
Hydrogen was something to do if EVs couldn't work out. EVs have, and that's that.
Hydrogen is expensive, volatile, and very...
wtf ? I think you need a new lambo dealer. Sounds bullshit. If that’s true about the warranty, then I just freed up a slot on the bucket list.
have you considered … any other supercar manufacturer ?
this. I think we see 4 motor power trains come down to super car price levels in less than 10 years. I’m really interested in the handling and dynamics changes that are possible with 4 in wheel independent motors like the Drako...
Eh. I’ve been doing that for … long time. Nothing goes on the dash. Ever. One of my college buddies insisted it was a stupid rule. Well, until I intentionally sent the pennies he left there into his face. Lesson learned.
it’s been at least 20 years since sports cars had more power than...
Modern automotive platforms are massive multi-year undertakings requiring huge amounts of capital. I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with the taycan. It was state of the art in 2019. The model 3 was in 2017. The model S in 2012. The plaid is in 2021. It took Tesla 2 years...
The taycan J1 architecture was designed to compete with the model S of 2015.
The plaid has 50% more motors.
Tesla has its issues, but they do know how to build a damn fine EV powertrain
good software is a LOT harder than it appears.
anybody can pour paint onto canvas. Doesn’t make them a renowned artist. Really, same is true for pretty much every world class expertise.
anybody can drive. Not gonna make a career in racing.
It’s not just how much you spend. It’s how your prioritize the function internally. Politically, financially, knowledge
chassis development includes the Porsche GT racing division with a decades long history of world class competition. Software includes … contracting to rando auto suppliers...
my next car is probably a McLaren instead of a Porsche because the dealers suck that much to interact with. I’ve offered ADM and only half of them even bothered to fucking call me back. Fuck me ? No, fuck you. Can‘t go out of business soon enough
I will say as uninterested I am in owning one, the model 3 and its performance / $ is what persuaded me ICE is completely doomed, environment or not, on a strictly economical scale.
Look what just happened to Bugatti. That's foreshadowing boys. Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari are all pushing out...
thinking about mixing it up and getting back into a Tesla Dave ? Not cross shopping a model S with your taycan ?
I haven't had a chance to get into a Plaid, but the older S's, and the model 3 (my wife has one and I drive it from time to time) make me unhappy as a driving experience. The...
at least it's not hydrogen ? TL;DR "destroyed a complex half the size of a soccer field"
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-hydrogen-southkorea-insight/hydrogen-hurdles-a-deadly-blast-hampers-south-koreas-big-fuel-cell-car-bet-idUSKBN1W936A
I suspect it’s an excellent daily driver and commute vehicle. Extremely skeptic the driving dynamics are fun by Porsche standards. One of my big fears for the roadster is that it’s designed by people who in their hearts would rather humans didn’t drive.
guess I kinda think about it like M5...
based on what we saw at Nurburgring and what Elon has publicly claimed, the plaid model S appears a full and substantial refresh. Completely new power train, new body styling, new aero, new battery pack (like from model 3). it’s not just a little trim and some new tires. Now whether or not...
To be clear, the next roadster amazes me in so many ways. It’s shaping up to be an enormous achievement.
but like many good things in life, it’ll be later and more expensive than originally expected.